Re: (ASCEND) Our first Max dies today!

Having played with a few Maxen myself, a few things sound kinda 'askew'
(Take that as ASK You).

1. It's well documented that the Max 4004 is overloaded CPU wise once you
go above 3 T1's (You say  you had 4 hooked up to yours??)

2. Although I agree the Fans are the one most suspect item in any Max Unit,
infact, they can take out componets in the MB when they go out, not to
mention wrecking havoc with the power supplies, I do assume, tho you don't
mention it, that in the process you did actually replace the 4004 Fans.

3. You say your solution was to use the MB in the 'new' 4048. Tho never
comparing the 2 MB's side by side, I can believe it can be done, but doubt
anyone would take a 'NEW' 4048, voiding the warranty, and attempt such an
operation considering it requires moving all of the control/T1/Ethernet
Connections as part of the process.  Since everything from Ascend seems to
be Hash Code, I can believe the 4004 and 4048 are indeed the same MB.

4. If all this is true, you are the Electronic Tech from God, and perfect
for my new operation which is to rid the world of these outrageous $1800+
fees, etc from Ascend for flat rate repairs on their equipment, if one can
wait the full 2 weeks for a replacement unit to show up!

(My experience with 2 Maxen failures that even Ascend ended up swaping out
units after wasting 10 business days on attempted repairs following fan
failures).....

At 07:44 PM 4/27/1999 -0400, you wrote:
>I am relating the following story in the spirit of sharing war stories and
>in case someone might have experienced something similar.
>
>This afternoon one of our Maxes stopped working. It powers on and does
>nothing (no link integrity on the Ethernet, no messages on the console)
>I replaced it with a spare 4048, but this was a temporary solution as
>the busted Max is a 4004 and had 4 T1's.
>
>While playing with it, I noticed that it had two busted fans (out of
>three!), and that it actually works as long as there are no modems in
>it. The moment you put modems in it, it won't boot (even just one card).
>
>I noticed that the Max appears to have two power supplies, one next to each
>other (one on top of each other in the newer internal layouts), and they
>have different ratings. I wonder if there's supposed to be one for the
>modems and one for the motherboard?
>
>My final solution to this problem, to get things back online ASAP, was to
>open up the busted 4004 and the new 4048, and swap motheboards. Now the
>4004 works great with the casing and power supply from the 4048. And I'm
>left with a 4048 in which I can put no modems (because it has the bad
>casing). That's OK, I can use it for ISDN!
>
>Extra bonus: This 4004, which was by far our hottest Max, with 72 V.34
>modems in it, now has a newer style casing which has 4 fans. (And the
>ISDN only box now has the older casing with only three fans, but that
>doesn't matter, it won't get hot without modems!)

******* Top Net InterNet Services ********
Omaha, Nebraska                www.top.net
            Voice: (402) 339-5609