(ASCEND) AScend max with Swansmart Dual Modems

Hi,
	Anyone else out there running an Ascend Max 6000, and have
problems with these Swannsmart duelchip modems.  I try dialling into our
max, and it only connects at 33.6k, when i try somewhere else (ozemail),
it connects at V.90, i also try bigpond, who i believe run max's too, and
it also connects at 33.6k.  Sounds like a Max modem problem to me, anyone
else out there have any ideas??