Re: (ASCEND) OSPF

At 01:44 PM 3/23/99 EST, Mitchell Arnone wrote:
>Just another voice on Ascend OSPF problems...
>
>We run Bay BCN routers and 3 Max TNTs.  While our TNTs were at firmware
>version 2.1.3, OSPF worked fine.  Our TNT almost never needed to be
>rebooted but our load is not as bad as a lot of other networks.
>
>However, once we upgraded to TAO 7.0, OSPF wend down hard.  In the end we
>had to use RIP or downgrade to 2.1.3....  we chose to use RIP.  Later,
>Ascend was able to recreate the problem and a fix in 7.x is due out
>somewhere in the near future.  The 2.x TNT firmware does not have the OSPF
>problem.  It was explained that the 7.x has entirely new OSPF code.  We
>will wait for the new 7.x release which incorporates the OSPF fix.

I recall that in 2.x we had a special fix for Bay OSPF code. In 7.0 we
redid a lot of OSPF and made it fully standards compliant. But Bay has one
attribute in OSPF that isn't standards compliant so that is why you had
your problem. In order to fix your problem, either Bay had to make their
code compliant with the standard or we had to make our code compliant with
the Bay ambiguity. We chose to repond to our customers need and allow for
the Bay ambiguity in a 7.0.x release.