Re: (ASCEND) Max 4030 set-up question

>What are the boxes using for a gateway?

Ah. You've saved my life. I've been grappling
with those manuals for over a week on this issue,
and couldn't see any mention anywhere of the
need for a gateway.

I'd assumed that the Ascend itself would serve
that function.

>They wil all need to be using the same gateway I
>believe to work like this. The DHCP needs to be
>assigning the same default gateway also.

Brilliant. You've put me out of a very long-standing
misery.

The network consists of a couple of Mac G3's,
an NT server and a Linux box. Any thoughts as
to which might be most suitable for this purpose?

And while I'm at it, perhaps I could pose another
question. The box is at the end of an E1 ISDN line
and contains two 56k modem cards. However, whenever
I connect to it using a modem, I never manage a
connection speed better than 33k. (I'm currently
using the Max 6.0 software that came installed on
the box.)

Should I be able to connect at 56k over such a
set-up? I know that the phone-lines I'm using
will support such speeds. Do I have to install
some later software to gain V.90 (or whatever it
is) compatibility?

TIA.

P.