(ASCEND) Slower v.90 connections after line chg from DCS to PRI

We have a MAX 4048 and were using a DCS line to allow 56K Dial up which
worked fine but did not have ISDN capability. We then decided to upgrade
this line to a PRI to allow both ISDN and 56K dial up but when we switched
the ISDN worked fine but the 56K users which had been connecting at 42k to
52K dropped to 28 to 36k. A marked decrease in speed. We have contacted the
teleco (GTE) which as usual says it is not at their end. We have also
contacted Ascend and the only change that was made on the 4048 was to switch
line type from DCS to PRI of which Ascend says should not make a speed
difference to the 56K users. Any ideas to help would be appreciated. (we are
using 6.1.7)