Re: (ASCEND) Ascend Max T1 and FR backup

At 12:18 PM 4/30/2000 -0700, you wrote:
>>I use a pipeline 130 with both a T1 and a BRI to feed my max4004
>>That way I not only have the automatic switchover to BRI for
>>backup up but also  have all 4 t1/pri's on the 4004 available
>>for incoming analog and ISDN dialback.
>
>That is simpler and more reliable as far as the backup goes. However, the
>general consensus on the list seems to be that 40xxs are too
>processor-limited to handle all four T1/PRIs at once without performance
>suffering. Of course, Pipeline 130s aren't exactly held in high regard
>either, but I like 'em okay.

What you're saying about 40xxs is not entirely true. It's been my
experience over the last five years that you can put four PRIs on a 4000
without any problems IF YOU FOLLOW A FEW SIMPLE GUIDELINES.

- You will definitely have a problem if you try to run all the PRIs as
dialup MODEM PRIs. The power supplies in the MAX won't handle it. You will
also run into a cooling problem.

- You can, however, run four PRIs on a 4000 if you run two of them for
dialup/dedicated ISDN ONLY and the other two for dialup modems.

We've run 4000s this way for years without a single death due to
overheating or burnt up power supplies. This only works with the
later-model 4000s that have the 20A 5V supply, not the 10A 5V supply.

Regards,
Randy