Maps

There has been a _lot_ of bitching about maps lately. I think there are a lot
more than 10 maps that are worth keeping, but there are definitely some maps
out there that range in quality from poor to crap. What can we do ?

Well, writing a map-maker's style guide would definitely be a good start.
Fixing Dimension Door would be another good idea. Crossfire really relies
on the players not being able to pass through barriers without achieving some
goal (ie kill the monster to get to the lever to open the door, etc) and I
think this is a Good Thing. Therefore we cannot allow any spells which allow
players to circumvent barriers . Thus dimension door should not let the
caster past any no_pass object.

As for map making, well here's a few ideas to get us going.

o Avoid trapping monsters. Most monsters bigger than one square without spell
abilities should be able to follow the players unless the map is set up
so that the players cannot assault the monster from a distance (ie they can
escape through a teleport or exit-door )

o If you are going to place a monster that is much more powerful than most of
the other monsters encountered to far put it behind a see-through door or grate
so the players get a chance to run.

o As we are getting a wider range of monsters it is possible to start making
monster types in maps vaguely sensible. A large room full of every single type of
monster is not sensible.

o Play test the map. Try all the exits. See how it looks when you have LOS. Check
out how many monsters are generated by your generators by the time you get to
that room.

Finally, the one thing we really need to do is peer-review the maps. If this is
going to work we need to do it in a mature fashion, which means constructive
criticism. Telling people "Your map sucks" isn't going to get us anywhere.
What we need is to say things like "10 reapers behind the door in map foo is
too unfair."

Until people start telling the mapmakers what is wrong with their maps, we are
not going to see any improvements.

Rupert (who reconstructed this message from the core file left when his mailtool
died 8-)
--
Rupert G. Goldie, Research Scientist                rgg@aaii.oz.au
Australian Artificial Intelligence Institute