Re: Death

In message <199303180125.AA28926@yarra-glen.aaii.oz.au>you write:
> Here's another alternative for death. I have had an idea for two spells -
> recusitation and raise dead.
>
> Recusitation must be cast within (dead characters level) minutes of the
> characters death upon his or her gravestone. Successful casting of the spell
> brings the character back to life at 1 hp and with the loss of one point off
> a physical stat (str,dex,con).

How about making a chance of either of these spells failing, depending on
the dead character's stats and their level? Should be some other penalty as
well as losing a couple of stat points.

> Where do we start the character when they restart with their newly raised
> character ? If we make it wherever the gravestone is when the spell was cast,
> there is the potential for abuse, so they should probably start back in the
> starting town.

How about making it so the spell can only be cast at specific places?
(temples or suchlike) - that would fix that problem.

> How does that sound ? Reasonable ?

What about, as an alternative to a spell, making it a function of certain
altars - drop a gravestone of a dead character on it, with some extra stuff
(ie cash :) and it raises them then and there? You could make similar stuff
in temples to heal, cure poison, or other nifty types of thing.

Another thing would be to, say, make it an (expensive) one shot potion or
scroll, you use it, and the gravestone you are standing on gets affected.

Anthony
--
 anthony baxter                 australian artificial intelligence institute
email : anthony@aaii.oz.au         1 grattan st, carlton, australia 3053