new ideas for crossfire

As a converted nethack player, I've got a few ideas for crossfire.  I don't want
to make crossfire more like nethack, but I think the two games share a lot in
spirit and can learn a few things from one another.

My main proposal is to change what happens when a chest is opened - it's not
very realistic when the chest just disappears.  I know there are good reasons
for why this should be, but I think the rest of the game is improving so much
that it's right for us to start polishing these more minor points up a bit.

I think the simplest thing we could do for now upon a chest being opened is
destroy the closed chest object and replace it with a new arch_type, an
"open" chest, together with whatever was inside the chest before it was opened.
This can be justified in terms of realism as we can say that the chest is forced
open and so the lock is broken and it will remain forever open.

Once we've got this kind of mechanism going, we can refine it. We could have
multiple objects inside a chest.  We could allow an open chest to be applied,
which closes it again (any object on the same square is put inside the chest).
And we could have special chests that need keys to be opened, just like some doors.

If someone is going to start implementing different character classes (fighter,
thief, mage, cleric) then thieves could get improved chances for opening locked
chests without the right key - perhaps there could be a lockpick arch_type?

Anyway, there are some ideas!

Cheers,

Sy