Re: A few thoughts on client/server

   > Mark wrote:
>  Light: As I said, it really should be done on the client side.  This
> offloads a little cpu time from the server, but more important, if light
> information is transmitted with image data, then a lot of information would
> be sent each time as light information changes.
>
>  Light should not be too hard to do.  However, a lot of clients may not
> do anything with it (for XPM images, (or in fact, any image type on
> X systems), it would not be easy (quick) to do it on the fly - that is to
> say to create a new pixmap with the shading lightened/darkened because of
> the light.  And creating alternate pixmaps for every lighitng situtation
> at start up would chew up huge amounts of memory.)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
a suggestion on this.....how about having about 5 or six pixmaps with
increasing amounts of their pixels shaded to black...the rest to transparent?

then you can overlay these pixmaps..depending on how far from the light source
over the other xpms.....

Doesn't even necessaryly have to be black...could be grey......

We have done some coloring here to make things like ghosts...spheres...look
somewhat transparent..by mixing transparent throughtout the body of the object
It seems to give a dimming effect to the pixmap underneath....might be something
to try.

Tyler.