Re: Weight

On Tue, 8 Mar 1994, Kjetil Torgrim Homme wrote:

> +---
> | Dollars did not make it into 90.2... I'm sorry that they're not
> | there.  It was a nice convenient way to carry money.
>
> Too convenient. And in any case, IMHO, "dollars" doesn't fit into the
> Crossfire world. I'd much rather see an even more expensive form of
> gems in the game. (some people carry around ~100 kilos of diamonds)

Aren't the context of world of crossfire something like Middle Earth
from Lords of The Rings. And I think the environment, items and
monsters should be design so that player have sense or feeling
to be in Middle Earth. So there should be some restrictions of
translation of ideas (like using jewels instead dollars to express
big amount of money). Otherwise there exists some day miniguns
(of magic bullets, I have thinked :) or even BFG9000 :)

> Uhm - something should be done about the weights... It is not unusual
> that people carry around 10 times their own weight.
>
> I think that we can simply decrease the amount carriable by a
> player. A Str 18 character is just too strong, I think. I mean - you
> shouldn't be able to walk around with a plate mail, a mithril armour,
> a high shield, the Excalibur, Holy Avenger etc. etc. without being
> hampered.

The player should model quite normal human. So the amount carried
should be something one could think to carry himself (well one can
imagine to be Tarzan or Conan but not Superman :).

For those who clean the battle area to sell items, there could
made a leash used to blob, that collect and carry items into
shop :)

> It is not really a good thing that the player knows how much
> everything weighs down to 10 grammes accuracy. He should get a rough
> approximation when looking at it, and identification would let him
> know everything about it. Furthermore, the column with weights could
> be left out (a client issue, really), and only the approximate full
> weight of what he's carrying would be shown at all times (note this
> number should not be the sum of the approximate weights).

I agree, one can hardly say how much item weights in kilos, for
exaple how many can say how much the coat one is wearing weights.
The approximation could be informed by examining the item. Full
weight could be same as in nethack or founded just from speed.

email: Petri.Heinila@lut.fi
  www: <A HREF="http://www.lut.fi/~hevi/">Homepage</A>
 mail: Ainonkatu 2A
       53100 Lappeenranta