Re: Classes, race, experiece.

In message <199405250416.AA08797@bolero.rahul.net>, Mark Wedel writes:
  > One thought on starting equipment for any class/race is to just give
>them a fair amount of money, and then let them buy what ever equipment
>they want.

  This would only be remotely fair if we took away the effect that
charisma has on buying stuff.  Otherwise, some classes would get
really screwed.  I really like the money idea, and would support
it if the charisma bonuses were less extreme!

> The reason I really don't like different skill areas is that players
>will quickly figure out (or look at the code) what to do in order to
>get EXP in that area.  I remember there was an old game for the Apple ][

  Eh?  My whole intention was to make it entirely clear to everyone what
to do to get exp!  I don't want it mysterious to anyone.  clerics get
exp by destroying unholy monsters, and healing, mages by using magic
to destroy their enemies, fighters by clever use of the sword, and
thieves by using their skills!

>which had such a system.  It didn't take me that long to figure out, and I

  Hell, if i install this system, you can count on me documenting it and
putting it in a file for newbies.  I really don't want anything secret
about it!

>had my cleric casting spells on the other people, always had the theif
>look for traps, and so on.  I don't know if this would be good or bad

  heh!  Sounds exactly like what i'd like to see.  clerics being altruistic,
(for selfish reasons, of course) and thieves carrying out their
intended function.

>for crossfire.  I think what would happen is it would start to get abused.
>Things like a medium level fighter wants to raise is magic using ability,
>so he wonders into some fairly easy area, and starts casting burning
>hands or whatever on everyone.  Gets that experience, even though he could

  Sure, he's practicing his magic.  Boning up on a valuable monster-killing
skill in a low-risk area.    Peopld right now do that just for
general experience.  The abuse won't be any worse under the new system.

Regards,
PeterM