Re: Classes, race, experiece.

In message <199405250502.AA11716@bolero.rahul.net>, Mark Wedel writes:
> It seems to me that if you are going to use a skill system, that skill should
>advance when there is danger.

  I see your point, now, and agree somewhat.  I do think that practicing
magic should be rewarded.  Perhaps you could go for this:  experience
is awarded based on the highest skill level.  This would have the
interesting side effect of making it so that a 10th level character
would have a VERY hard time picking up his 1st level skill areas.

> Maybe it is just part of my beliefs as a DM (AD&D).  I don't think a characte
>should get much in the way of any experience for killing monsters if they
>do it in a controlled fashion that is perfectly safe.
>
> For crossfire, it jsut seems to me that if you go to a skill system, people
>will figure out how it works, find loppholes, and use it to their advantage.
>As the system is now, there really are not any loopholes - you kill something,
>you get exp.

  I never intended for the workings of the skill advancement system to
be a mystery.....  It is quite true that some of the skill advancement
mechanisms need care.  Perhaps healing should only count in difficult
dungeons, etc.  Or we can remove the 'clerics heal to get experience'
thing entirely.  That one can indeed be abused too readily, unless we
have some rules like 'experience only awarded when in direct line-of
sight with a dangerous monster'.

Regards,

PeterM