Improved weapons--a simpler solution.

I'd like to propose a simple approach to
balancing improved weapons.

How about the following:

Prepare Weapon - Currently there is no maximum.
   I suggest a strict maximum of 10.  I also
   suggest that the comment in the prepare code
   stating that you should check for more than
   just enchantment should be implemented, this
   will preclude enchanting artifacts of any kind.
   Checks should at least include stat bonuses, speed
   bonus, protections, immunities and magic (spell point)
   bonuses.  (I wouldn't check for "slaying", since
   relatively ordinary weapons can now be of
   "Slay ...", and improved weapons should be too.)

Damage/Weight - Each point of damage should imply
   a minimum weight.  Perhaps .5 kg, so a weapon
   that has a damage of 70 has a minimum weight
   of 35.  The lower weapon weight improvement
   could be used to achieve this minimum, but
   not go below it.  If the improve damage scroll
   added 1 kg for every point of damage the typical
   usage would be improve damage to max, then lower
   weight to minimum.  This has the effect that
   really nasty weapons are too bulky for mages
   to use effectively, but are well within the range
   of usefulness for a strong fighter.

Enchantment - This should effect weapon speed,
   weapon class and damage.  The effect on weapon
   weight should be reduced to only 5% per point,
   not 10.  Thus a maximumly enchanted weapon at
   +10 would weigh 50% of normal.

Stat Bonuses - You should be able to increase a
   stat by only one level at a time.  In conjunction
   with the restriction on a maximum of 10 improvements
   this would mean that now weapon could have more
   than 10 total additional stat points, a pretty
   reasonable limit.  Since most players would choose
   to use at least two improvements to maximize
   damage and minimize weight the maximum bonuses
   would typically total around eight--not much
   more than a good artifact.  I don't particularly
   see why it should cost more to have (str +8)
   than it should to have (str +4, con +4), so I
   reccommend that there should be a fixed cost of
   2 or 3 potions per bonus point.

Artifacts retain their usefulness under this system,
since they can improve beyond the 10 limit as well as
effect users speed, provide immunities,  and most
importantly provide different attack types.