Re: Skills Hack

> From wacren@gin.obspm.fr Mon Apr 10 19:10:26 1995
> Date: Tue, 11 Apr 1995 01:10:22 +0200
> To: Brian Thomas <thomas@chaupher.gsfc.nasa.gov>
> Cc: crossfire@ifi.uio.no
> Subject: Re: Skills Hack
> From: Laurent Wacrenier <Laurent.Wacrenier@gin.obspm.fr>
> Not sure it's a good idea :
>  - spell casters are aleady powerfull (much than warriors, in my
>     sense)
>  - a lot of people have already bank characters with a lot of
>    charisma for buying and keeping theyre stuffs, now the same will
>    have also clerics and wizards to avoid object identification.

	Yeah. You make a good point, but right now play balance is
	only going to occur when more than one person (me!) tries
	out the various permutations. The spellcasting humans, for
	example, might get a skill and 1 spellbook rather than
	several spells for example. Also, you might be overating
	the usefulness of skills - I have found that the sense cursed
	items skill much less usefull than other skills available.
	In the end the creativity of the player makes a big difference
	in the usefulness of any skill/spell/weapon/etc the character
	has. Under that proviso, I am making the skills hack stuff
	available - for feedback and playtesting.

> Another idea of skill : `rogues' could detect traps more easily than
> other characters.

	Yeah, I have thought about a 'detect traps' skill too. I
	didnt try to implement it because it would basically
	duplicate the 'search' command. I do like the idea however.

						b.t.