Re: treasure items...? wanderers?

On Thu, 10 Aug 1995, Brian Thomas wrote:

> > From: Petri Heinila <hevi@lut.fi> writes:
> >
> > npc's are just contained in map, instead players are contained
> > in common list.
> >
> > and there have to also exist a algorithm to npc to make
> > it wander from town to town.
> >
> 	Where is this? Are you refering to the "petmove" algorithm?
> 	If so, it only moves *aligned* NPC's (ones with set_owner(
> 	PLAYER) set!) to new maps. An algorithm which allowed
> 	NPC's to wander throughout the world would be *very* cool.

Uh, I made myself unclear, as I know there exist no such algorithm.

> 	Imagine a special "wandering" merchant with rare (and expensive)
> 	items for sale. or  a medicant preist who will show up every
> 	so often while the player traverses the "continent" maps, etc.

Indeed algorithm of wanderes would make a bit more atmosphere to
the game. But I have no clear idea how it could be done; maybe
some additional list or player list, and mile-stones on maps
to where the NPCs are targeting, or something.

<A HREF="http://www.lut.fi/~hevi/">Petri.Heinila@lut.fi</A>