Re: Consensus on race/class separation?

> we can get a consensus opinion on one thing, which is that race should be separate
> from class (or "profession").   Anyone object to this?  I'm not trying to read

	I think its a good idea. (I want to have an elf wizard :)

> any implications about experience, skills, or stats into this decision, just that
> these features should be separate, i.e. you can be an elf *and* a wizard, not an
> elf *or* a wizard.   It may be that we'll decide to link class and race in some way
> in the future (say by giving certain races predilections or aversions to particular
> classes) but that's not part of the current decision.

	While I would push for skills to be largely associated with the character
	profession, I would also vote for making some "skill-like" abilities available
	to races too. For example, I would like to see all elves have some woodsman skill.
	To me, for elves to not have woodsman like ability would imply that the elf
	in question was from an entirely different sub-race of elves (like dark elves).

> That said I would like to push for a consensus opinion on the following: the choice
> of race should have an effect on stats, particularly starting bonuses and maximums.
> I'm specifically not making any statement about whether class/profession should
> or should not also have an effect on stats.

	I agree (mostly) here. Stat bonuses and maximums should be largely set by the
	character race.

> If no one has any objections to these changes I believe we should begin to discuss
> how to implement them, specifically whether player objects will reference race
> archetypes ("elf", "orc", "human", etc.) or profession archetypes ("fighter",
> "mage", "ninja", etc.).

	This is a good point. Which bitmap gets used for the player character?
	In an ideal world the player would get to use a "customized" icon for their
	character. The best way (IMHO) would be to have a separate race/profession
	bitmap for each posible combination (ie there is an "elf-wizard" map and a
	"elf-barbarian" map set, etc.) It would be alot of work however.
	Lack of available maps might set the available professions for races (initially :).

							b.t.