Re: An "easy" MU/Fighter balance fix?

In message <9506141709.AA15664@pluto>, Ken Woodruff writes:

>could introduce a multiplier based on class, e.g. barbarians improve 1.5 wc
>per level,  warriors 2.0 wc per level, thieves 1.0 wc per level and wizards
>0.1 wc per level.
>
>Comments?  I'd have to say overall this is one of the more conservative
>ideas in fixing this problem.

C'mon, this has been the most divisive issue ever.  *I* think
that fighting experience should improve your fighting ability,
MU experience should improve your MU ability, clerical experience
should improve your clerical ability, thieving improve your stealth
ability (level).

Why should smacking something with your sword improve your
spellcasting?

I like the 4-experience class (cleric, MU, fighting, thief) because
it is simpler in terms of player-bookeeping than having 100 different
skills, simpler in coding, but DOES make it so that you don't become
a better fighter (go up in fighting levels) by frying monsters with
fireballs.

But I think having varying wc/level makes sense for different RACES.
Why shouldn't each race gain fighting ability differently?  But this
boils down to stat differences.

I'd actually like to see "classes" go away and "races" dominate the game.
Trolls, humans, elves, gnomes, undead players, fireborn,
rather than:
fighter mage cleric ...

My philosophy of the game is that you are what you do:  an elf might have
a predilection for wizardry (stat bonus) but if instead he slashes
things dead or shoots them with arrows, it is his fighting which
improves and not his magic.

The four class idea also brings balance to the game easily:  you
simply make it harder to advance in MU levels.

Additionally, I'm prepared to back up my 4-class proposal with coding.
Many of those who advocated having a multitude of skills were willing
to "help", but I didn't see any volunteers to be responsible for it.

Regards,

PeterM