Re: steal abuse

On Nov 30,  2:08pm, Jonathan Hankins wrote:
> Subject: Re: steal abuse
> On Thu, 30 Nov 1995, Brian Thomas wrote:
> > 	I do admit to doing my part to make it a bit more difficult,
> > 	but that is my preference. I suppose if enough people wanted
> > 	the game easier things can be changed that way (heh, or made
> > 	more difficult than they are now :) Comments?
>
> Why not make the overall difficulty of the game configurable within the
> config files, at compile time. You could select a level (for example,
> easy, medium or hard) and some of the code that makes it harder (stuff
> like multiple experience catagories, amount of experience lost when you
> die with the no_permadeath  option enabled, etc) would be included or
> left out accordingly. Or would this make the source to big and/or messy?
>
> (BTW I personally like the difficulty level of the game as it is now, but
> some people seem to like to get level 40 characters overnight ;-)

 My quick response for people that don't like the new versions:  Don't use them
- just keep the old version and be happy with that.

 sure, you won't get new improvements that you might like, but this is a 2
edged sword - you don't get the ones you don't want either.

 Having some options like that configurable could be done - but I don't want
that in the config.h file - I really want to move that stuff to some other
config file that is read when the game is run - I would like to reduce the
amount of code that is conditional compilation, and rather have conditional
execution.

 Certainly, it would be possible to make various things not as nasty.  You
could just comment out most of the bad PERMADEATH effects, or change the code.
 Reqires some hacking, but not that much.

 At the same time, you could hack a lot of stuff.  In the experience functions,
you could obviously just add some multiplication effect so you get more for the
same thing.

 Could change die rolls for hit points to d20's instead of d10's (or whatever
they are), to get more hp..

 I guess the question is, what is practical and what isn't

 I've played with the new code, and I think the balance is reasonbly good.  The
big problem I tend to have is dungeons for levels 8-12 or so.  There are a lot
of wimpy dungeons, but that takes forever, and there re plent of tough dunegons
where you will get killed, but there seems to be few intermediate.

--
 --Mark