Re: Getting into a crossfire game

>You have to trust the maintainer of the crossfire server, there is no
>getting around that fact. It's not hard to abstain from giving him/her
>confidential data, though -- just log out after you are done playing,
>and don't type in real passwords while you play.
>
>Of course, with a _real_ client/server, you can do security right.
>Unfortunately, there's a lot more interest in talking about it than
>actually doing it.
>
>Kjetil T.

 Client/server certainly does take care of security in a better fashion
(also allows plays if you are behind a firewall, since only an outgoin
connection needs to be made.)

 However, in the existing setup, after you get your crossfire window,
you shoud be able to do an xhost -server_host.  If I understand
things correctly, the access is only needed to start the setup/game -
what the connection is established, it doesn't care about permission.  This
would then limit possible snooping to the connection time (however, at
the same time, if someone starts an x snooper before you disable the
host access, they can keep snooping indefinately.)