Re: improvement scrolls

Jonathan Hankins <jhankins@pc11.hhs.homewood.k12.al.us> wrote:

> Maybe it's a bit far-fetched of an idea, but remembering a while back
> when I wanted to see what enchanting a weapon was like and cheated with
> the level editor to get all the gems and such I needed, I made an axe
> that, when I tried to ready it, eventually said something to the effect
> of "This weapon is too powerful--it would consume your soul" I was a bit
> amused and even more dismayed :) but along those lines, I thought about
> games (particularly AD&D) in which some of the most powerful weapons have
> personalities and indeed life of their own. Perhaps it wouldn't make it
> too hard to make code so that a weapon, when reaching a certain level of
> enchantment, number of enchantments, etc, gets a bit free-willed, harder
> to control, freaks out at certain critical moments, etc. It'd add a bit
> of fun to the game, IMHO.

The current limit is your level plus 5.  If you put more than that
into a weapon, you cannot wield it.  Incidentally, if you are trying
to put a lot of enchantments into a weapon, I would suggest not maxing
it out for your current level, since if you then die (thus losing
levels) and accidentally unwield it, you will not be able to equip it
until you get the levels back (which could be hard without the use of
the weapon)!  I think it would be more interesting to have possible
bad side effects instead of a hard limit.  Have the weapon drain
hp/sp/grace etc., occasionally confuse/slow the character, etc., if
you are not high enough level.  Or give it an anti-stealth effect.  Or
maybe a vulnerability or temporary stat drain (e.g. Dex-2) while it is
equipped.  I would say the severity/frequency of side effects should
depend on how much more powerful the weapon is.

BTW, how much damage do special attacks do?  For example, if you have
an item (such as the Lightning Sticks or JessyHammer) which does
electrical attacks, how much electrical damage does it do?  Does this
depend on the damage value of the weapon (i.e. sword with dam+20 and
electrical attacks does 20 hp physical and 20 hp electrical)?  What
about "weaponmagic"?  (I am of course ignoring the affects of the
victim having protection or vulnerability.)

-Michael