Re: CF: Gameplay issues and misc stuff

On Aug 8, 12:06pm, Raphael.Quinet@eed.ericsson.se wrote:
> Subject: CF: Gameplay issues and misc stuff
>
> Here are a few random comments related to 0.92.5:
>
> - The new attack code will sometimes produce the same kind of
>   unfortunate side effects as the ones I tried to fix in my patch to
>   0.92.4: if your weapon is "improved" by getting some god's attack
>   type (e.g. weaponmagic and fear for God), it can become useless
>   against some monsters.
>
>   Example: I got Mopoon's Dragonbane (very powerful weapon, with dam
>   +81).  After having prayed over an altar of God, it received the
>   attacks weapon magic and fear.  After that, it always missed the
>   acid spheres and some other monsters.  That happens less often than
>   with the bug that I fixed in the previous version of the code, but
>   sometimes the "best attack type" that is chosen by the new code is
>   one to which the monster is immune.

 If so, that is a bug - the best type taken should be the one that would do the
most damage.  I'll look over that and see if I can find the bug.

>   This also happens if you get the "Essence of Flame" that gives you
>   the attack type "fire".  If you wear it, you are unable to hit some
>   monsters.  Isn't there a way to fix that?

 If a creature is immune to fire, and the weapon's only attack type is fire,
the result above is what should happen.  The fix would be to make sure the
weapon has multiple attacktypes (also physical or weaponmagic.)

> - The dragon steaks are not counted as food anymore.  They are much
>   lighter than before and have the same "food value", even if they
>   taste terrible.  Thus they become more interesting than
>   waybreads... except that your character will not eat them
>   automatically when the food drops below zero.  Consequence: I was in
>   a battle, using a lot of mana (and food for regeneration), and
>   suddenly my character died although I was carrying several dragon
>   steaks.

 I already sent mail to brian about the weight of objects - they seem way too
light to me (things like corpses and heads and other objects also.)  As a
question to brian, however - is there any reason that these objects need to be
considered type flesh (or maybe food should be moved to the same category).

> - I'm thinking about creating a new skill for smithery (alas, there is
>   already a skill with that name and it is powerful enough, so I have
>   to find a new name).  It would do the same kind of things as the
>   alchemy spell: you drop some weapons and raw materials on an anvil,
>   and you use the skill to create a new weapon.  For example, a sword
>   combined with ten "potions of cold resistance" would create a sword
>   protected from cold.  But this could also affect play balance a lot,
>   so I will first wait and see what happens with the alchemy code.

 That by itself doesn't seem taht bad, as long as you then can't drop the sword
of cold and 10 potions of fire and get sword of cold & fire resistances (and
more and more).

--
 --Mark