Re: CF: Map Generation

>  If you use the random encounters, this is a bit different, but random
> encounters becomes a bit tedious after a short while (and the times you find
> them on normal dungeon maps is a real pain.)

There is a flag you can set in maps to have it not generate random encounters.
But I guess it would be better to add the opposite flag, and make no
encounters the default unless this flag is set.

>  A better random encounter method could probably be done.  My thought would be
> that for each type of terrain, have a list of monsters it could generate, and
> a chance (I guess you could use a treasure list for this..)  Then, have a
> random chance of it generating that treasure.

My original plan when I made random encounters was to check maps for a certain
flag, and if it was set, let the player travel _only_ through random encounters
based on that map.  That way, if you make a huge overview map, like the world,
which lacks in detail, you could have random encounters generate the detail.
And when you reach the end of one such random map, you enter the next.
Since these were stored you could walk back the same path and recognize
where you have been.  Also, every archetype would have some effect on the
encounter map.  Cities and roads would expand in the random maps, coustlines
would grow less rough (more detailed)..all in all, more detail would be
automatically added to the map.
It should be easy to expand the encounter routines.  For starters, more
maps could be put in the maps/generic directory.

-Frank.