Re: CF: Comments on documentation, 2 magic system

On Jul 10,  1:31pm, Raphael.Quinet@eed.ericsson.se wrote:
> Subject: Re:  CF: Comments on documentation, 2 magic system
> On Wed, 10 Jul 96, "Brian Thomas" <thomas@astro.psu.edu> wrote:
> [...]
> >                 c. Perhaps it would be valuable to split the
> >                    'spells' section into 2 tables, one for
> >                    'cleric' magic, the other for 'wizard'
> >                    magic.
>
> Speaking about that...  I modified the "cast" command on my server so
> that when you use it without arguments, it lists the spells and
> prayers in two sections, like this:
>
>   > cast
>   Cast what spell?  Choose one of:
>
>   [sp]  spell name
>   [01] magic bullet
>   [06] small lightning
>
>   [gr]  prayer name
>   [04] holy word
>
> I prefer to see the list of spells and prayers like this, because I
> can immediately know which spells will use mana points and which ones
> will use grace points.

 Seems like a reasonable change.  Best long term method would be to have some
spell listing display specifics (ie, sort by type, sort by cost, sort by level,
etc..)

> Also, I use the same technique as the one used for shop listings in
> order to pause after each page when listing the spells and prayers.
> This is very useful for me, because I have one character which knows
> 135 spells and it is not possible to have all of them on the screen at
> the same time (with the "old" pseudo-client which lacks a scrollbar).
>
> Should this feature be integrated in the next release of Crossfire?
> Should it be configurable?  If most people on this list are interested
> in this, then I will post my patch here or send it to Mark Wedel for
> inclusion in the next release (by the way, I'd like to know what is
> the best way to send small or medium patches - post them here or wait
> until the next release?).

 The 'problem' with the pause screens is that all that code then needs to be
removed in true client/server happens.  By the natuer of the game, any time you
have information like that, you need to store some of the information in the
player structure (if you use static vars in the function, you then have
problems if 2 people do that action at the same time..)

 Arguably, a cleaner way to do this until the clien/server comes along would be
to integrates the client's scrollbar into the server code.  Generally speaking,
my time is a bit limited to do this, but if someone else takes on the task and
gives me a patch, I will use it.  (probably isn't really hard to do - most of
the functions could probalby be used as it - what would need to be changed is
the variables that are used..)

 Patches can be sent either directly to me or to the list - either way I get
them and will save and apply them (if appropriate.)  What method you choose
probably depends on how public you want the patch - if you send it to the list,
many people will probably apply it, and if it is still in the expiremental
stage, you may not want that.

> -Raphael
>
> P.S.: While I'm at it...  I have already asked that, but are there any
>       plans to drop the current pseudo-client code and only support the
>       "real" client/server code, so that everyone has to use it and we
>       can assume that it's there when developping new code?
>
>-- End of excerpt from Raphael.Quinet@eed.ericsson.se

 Real client still needs some more work.  I haven't played it lately, but I
know for sure that it is lacking magic mapping ability, and support for
anything except xpm images (I believe pixmap support has been put in on at
least one side.)  Problem is that I don't think anyone is really doing much
work on it right now..

--
 --Mark