Re: CF: map resetting

On Oct 28,  3:30pm, Philip Brown wrote:
> Subject: Re: CF: map resetting
>
>     I've noticed that the maps reset after two hours if they aren't used.
>     Normally this is fine, but there are cases where a treasure room is on
>     a different map from the guards, allowing a player to sit in the outside
>     room and revisit the treasure room after it has reset.  One solution to
>     this is to allow maps to be linked to other maps.  The idea is that when
>     a map is about to be reset, the server would first check to see if any
>     of the linked maps are in memory.  If it finds one, the expiration time
>     is set to the same as that map (plus one second, perhaps), and the
>     reset is aborted.
>
> What is a good case for making a treasure room a separate map in the
> first place?

 That is a somewhat valid point.  Although, I think the the tower of demonology
might be doing this for some of the different levels.

 While map linking and timeouts might be nice, people waiting 2 hours to cheat
is probably one of the lesser problems in cheating.  An easy fix would be to
just increase the max timeout times to be somethign like 6 hours - are people
really going to wait that long for something to reset?

 However, an easier fix is in the map itself - in order to get into the
treasuure chamber, but one of the special doors on that map, and the special
key on one of the previous maps (probably in the buffest monster you ahve to
kill inventory.)  Thus, while the player could sit around for 2 hours, all he
gets is a locked door - he will need to wait for the map with the monster to
reset and kill it again.

--

-- Mark Wedel
mark@pyramid.com