Re: CF: HPUX/Solaris

Mark Wedel (mark@siemens-pyramid.com) wrote:

>  The direct X11 works on linux & DC/Osx.

"direct X11"? Is that the source of the millions of "Xfoobar defaults
to return type int" warnings?

> > HP-UX: This is a veddy veddy dirty one, and it doesnt fix the actual
> > problem, but makes the symptoms go away and the client work -
> >
> > In function DoClient, change the exit(1); in if (i==-1) { to return;
>
>  That certainly is a bit of a hack.  If the server is running on HP/UX,
> I would think that changes on that side must also be made.

I fixed the problem a little bit differently. In newsocket.c,
SockList_ReadPacket(), it just removed the two
	if (stat==0) return -1;
lines. Seems to work fine.

I had 0.93.4, 0.93.5 and 0.93.6 (I think) servers running on HP-UX
with no real problems. Moved to Solaris because the HP machines
that I was using have several problems.

>  Version 0.94.3 is now out for the client and server, so you may want to
> grab those first.

Did it. Works without changes on Solaris (just millions of warnings,
most (but not all) related to Xfoobar() functions defaulting to
int). Needs the above change for HP-UX, as well as the two
additional #include <unistd.h> mentioned in my ealier mail.

However, I don't really know what I changed :-( The client is very
sluggish --- seems to swap a lot (heavy HD access). Not sure about
Solaris --- sluggish too, but less so (it seems).  After a while it
seems to settle down a little, but it seems it's still more sluggish
than the old server X client. Maybe I did something bad by removing
the two lines, don't know (as I said, things seem worse on
HP-UX). Have to compare the server client and the real client this
week to see if there is really a difference (don't know how long it takes
to stop the swapping, though... lets hope it doesn't take hours).

-image doesn't work. -cache does other weird things --- the client
starts displaying '?' images, replacing them with the real image
after a while. Both on HP-UX and Solaris.

Christian

--
Christian Stieber        http://www.informatik.tu-muenchen.de/~stieber