Re: CF: HPUX/Solaris

On Aug 2,  9:31pm, Christian Stieber wrote:
> Subject: Re: CF: HPUX/Solaris
> Mark Wedel (mark@siemens-pyramid.com) wrote:
> >
> >  The direct X11 works on linux & DC/Osx.
>
> "direct X11"? Is that the source of the millions of "Xfoobar defaults
> to return type int" warnings?

 It probably depends on the system.

> I fixed the problem a little bit differently. In newsocket.c,
> SockList_ReadPacket(), it just removed the two
> 	if (stat==0) return -1;
> lines. Seems to work fine.

 Probably more efficient to return 0 instead of deleting those lines
(removing them will still cause it to try and process something that
isn't there.)

> Did it. Works without changes on Solaris (just millions of warnings,
> most (but not all) related to Xfoobar() functions defaulting to
> int). Needs the above change for HP-UX, as well as the two
> additional #include <unistd.h> mentioned in my ealier mail.

 Do you know of a compiler symbold that HP/UX defines so that I can put
an automatic check in place?

> However, I don't really know what I changed :-( The client is very
> sluggish --- seems to swap a lot (heavy HD access). Not sure about
> Solaris --- sluggish too, but less so (it seems).  After a while it
> seems to settle down a little, but it seems it's still more sluggish
> than the old server X client. Maybe I did something bad by removing
> the two lines, don't know (as I said, things seem worse on
> HP-UX). Have to compare the server client and the real client this
> week to see if there is really a difference (don't know how long it takes
> to stop the swapping, though... lets hope it doesn't take hours).

 If running the client with -cache, it can take a little while to build
up the cache.  So the first few plays may seem a bit sluggish at it
transfers the images from the server and stores them from disk.

 Future use of the client will not need to transfer teh images, but it
still needs to load them off of disk.  One difference between the client
approace compared to the old server is the client waits until it needs the
images before loading them (server loads them all first).  This makes the
client start up faster, but can mean slower play.  (note that if your
home directory is on a nfs partition, this would probably really suck
performance wise)

 Once the client is running for a little while, it should have a
set of images and not need anymore, so performance should be better.
Thus, keeping the client running for quite a while will garner better
performance in the long run than lots of short plays.

> -image doesn't work. -cache does other weird things --- the client
> starts displaying '?' images, replacing them with the real image
> after a while. Both on HP-UX and Solaris.

 the ? is a feature.  If the client gets an image it doesn't have yet,
it displays the ? until it gets the image from the server.  Note that you
should only see the ? one time for each image for effectively eternity.

 For example, first time with client, the entire town, walls, etc will show
up as ? for a brief period as it gets the images from the serer.

 Next time, it already has all that stuff, so will display it properly
immediately.  However, if you run into some other odd item (say a jessy
which you did not run into the first time), it will be a ? until it
downloads those images.

 At some point in play, the client should have almost all the images.

--

-- Mark Wedel
mark@pyramid.com