Re: CF: Re: Progress on random map generator? Incorporating the disease patches?

On Dec 3,  3:10pm, Simon Hosie wrote:
> Subject: CF: Re: Progress on random map generator?  Incorporating the dise
> Peter Mardahl:
> >   A random map generator would really add a lot.  How about creating
> > one of those rather than re-doing the map editor Mr. Toneby?
>
> Would that use a deterministic random number generator (deterministic across
> platforms, not the standard C one) and seeds that depend on where the map is
> called from?  I think it should.

 Should it?  What I get from your suggestion is that random house A on server A
should be the same has random house A on server B (same meaning same layout,
monsters, ...)  Is there any really good reason while all the worlds should be
a like?

 But this does bring up an interesting point - should house A always be
randomly generated to the same thing, or should it be different each time it is
generated?  The former could be pretty boring, or could get really out of whack
if someone finds a map that generates a great artifact.

 Perhaps a better method is to then make the actual layout of the map standard,
but the contents change each time (buildings in a house won't change, but
perhaps some ogres move instead of kobolds).  This also fixes the great
artifact problem.

 Actual map layout could be determined either by some hash from the name, or a
better solution would be the map that links into it contains the seed for that
map (you need some special form of object to say that the destination is a
random map - and you probably want to control more than that - is it a random
house, or random dungeon?  How big, etc.)  But this would also allow a server
admin to change it perhaps (maybe the map generated is really boring, or it is
a time for a change.)

 It could be interesting to actually destroy such houses (condemned) - after
some amount of time they get rebuilt into a new form.  But this really starts
to add a level of complication that probably isn't needed.

--

-- Mark Wedel
mark@pyramid.com