Re: CF: the finger (was Re: CF: the map-editor)

"Pertti Karppinen (OH6KTR)" on  wrote...
| On Thu, Dec 03, 1998 at 08:19:53PM -0800, Mark Wedel wrote:
| >  It could be - if no one is on a remote server, might as well play
| >  on a local server.  So it is certainly a case where having people
| >  on the server is likely to make more people use it, etc.
|
| I think it would be great idea to make a finger like (or qstat ala
| quake) utility with which one could check out the status of a remote
| server, without actually connecting with a client. Server maintainers
| could also write some info about the server (like local maps used,
| general policies etc.) as optional output of the program.
|
| Shouldn't be too hard to implement to server???

Or create a meta server, which servers announce themselves to ever so
often!

  Anthony Thyssen ( System Programmer )    http://www.sct.gu.edu.au/~anthony/
Wizard Rincewind on `Attacting Trouble' :-
       "Let's just say that if complete and utter chaos was lightning, then
    he'd be the sort to stand on a hill top in a thunderstorm wearing wet
    copper armour and shouting,  ``All gods are bastards.''.
					 Terry Pratchet - "The Colour of Magic"
     PGP Public Key available -- finger -l anthony@lyrch.cit.gu.edu.au