No Subject

________=22CF=3A_Progression_=28was_Re=3A_Goth's_tavern=29=22_=28Dec__7=2C?=
 =?iso-8859-1?Q?__3=3A57pm=29?=
To: =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rapha=EBl_Quinet_?= Raphael.Quinet@eed.ericsson.se>,
 crossfire@ifi.uio.no
Subject: Re: CF: Progression (maps)

> In the latest version, the new black ship in the port can lead to Santo
> Dominion in two hops, and from there you can reach the whole continent in
> a few seconds.  This makes the gates totally useless!

 I will note that Port Joseph is a low level area.  It may be better to
integrate what port joseph has directly into scron instead of having it a
seperate city since I don't believe it is a very big place.

> - As you mentioned, splitting the port area from the center of Scorn would
>   be a good idea.  Maybe there could be a second gate there, with the same
>   password as the first one.  As a matter of fact, some of the other
>   cities could also have a "city password" that is valid for several gates.
>   A password is better than a key in this case, because the experienced
>   players would simply remember the password instead of having to solve
>   the same quests again and again.  The important thing is that the
>   first-time players would not have access to all maps before they have
>   solved the basic quests.

 At minimum, there should probably be some charge for using a boot (why will
they ferry you to other places for free?)  The amount of money charged could
sort of be related to the difficult of where the exit leads (high level map are
more dangerous to go to.)

 In the long run, I want to remove the ships which transport you instantly and
make it ultima like - you board the ship, and you move it  north, south, east,
west, .... depending where you want to go.  So you have to have some idea where
the other land is.  This will require some re-arrange of the maps.  It also
means that some maps may not be readily available (you will need to know where
the remote land is unless you want to spend a lot of time exploring the seas.)

> - There should be an easy way for the player to know if a map is going to
>   be too hard or to easy, and this should not be done by typing 'maps.  ;)
>   I think it would be nice to add a new archetype similar to the existing
>   signs, but which displays the map level, extracted automatically from
>   the map info.  It would then be easy to add this standard sign to the
>   existing with little effort.  I will try to have a look at that during
>   this week if Mark is not already working on it...

 Are you just doing to use the difficulty method, or something else?
 Difficulty is a rough estimate at best.

 I noticed there already is a mapinfo command that displays some basic
information about the map.  Adding a difficulty line to that should be trivial.
(mapinfo is only the local map, compares to maps which displays all the maps.)

> - The temptation for a map designer to link everyhing to Scorn would
>   disappear if there was more than one starting city or if the "word of
>   recall" could bring the player back to a different place.  I think that
>   it will take a while before we have several nice, balanced starting
>   cities for the different races, but maybe we could already have
>   different destinations for the "word of recall" depending on which cult
>   the player chooses.

 Both of these are on the TODO list.   For word of recall,  I don't know if you
want to allow players to specify any location (once again could have problems
with some treasure chambers).  In theory, if we get temples for each of the
gods and have them in each of the major cities, allowing players to set that
map as a return location would make sense.

 new starting maps have the problem as said - more beginner dungeons need to be
done.

--

-- Mark Wedel
mark@pyramid.com