Re: CF: Death, Stats and a Simple Party...

On Dec 19,  1:32pm, Kjetil Torgrim Homme wrote:
> Subject: Re: CF: Death, Stats and a Simple Party...
> [Mark Wedel]
>
> Yes, I am one of the defenders of permanent death.  Remember, even
> with permanent death there are ways of resurrecting the corpse, so all
> is not lost if you have powerful friends.  I think it is dangerous to
> make death painless -- it will make map makers think less about death
> traps.  It should be possible for a cautious player to get through
> Crossfire without prior knowledge of where the traps are.  (One of my
> peeves about Crossfire currently is the traps fitted on every door,
> which easily kill low level players.)

 Traps probably need to be better adjusted on map difficulty.  Unfortunately,
for most maps, difficulty is computed automatically.  One thing that might
be nice is for difficulty to actually be explicity set for all levels -
difficulty number matches the desired level of the characters on that
map (some things, like treasures would need to be redone, since I believe
they only go up to difficulty 20-03 or so.)

 But traps at first and second level are pretty much deadly, but at higher
levels, they more become inconveniences (or a good way to get some experience
in the desired skills).

> Yes.  I also think it should be made impossible to have max values in
> every stat -- the player should have to choose to be an all brawns no
> brains barbarian or a the vice versa wizard.

 I don't as much mind characters having max stats for everything at level 50
or something.  But generally, between level 10-20, characters generating
sufficient money to pretty much max out all their stats.

 One option is to make potions harder to come buy (not in stores).  But this
then requires they are dont appropriately in maps - right now, potions can
make nice rewards for intermediate level maps - if they could not be found
in shops, I could see players heading to certain known maps where they can
get potions whenever that map resets.

 One thing whcih I have said before is that crossfire needs to be stretched
out for more levels - right now, at about level 20, a character will have
maxed out all their stats, have at least some of the ideal artifacts, and
spellcasters will pretty much have all the spells they will ever get.  This
is fine if we agree that level 20-30 is where the game ends (in which
case exp should max out at that point).  This could actually make some
maps better - right now, there are a few very high level maps, but that
leaves a lot of levels for characters to gain to be able to solve them.  And
level 50 maps may then not be that difficult for level 80 characters.

 But if the max is level 30 (or some number), a map maker can make a level
30 map and know it can pretty much always be difficult - he can even make
it quite difficult for a level 30 person, so a character can't just go
in and blow through the map, but instead careful planning would be needed.

--

-- Mark Wedel
mark@pyramid.com