Re: CF: Newbie hints

Preston F. Crow (Preston.F.Crow@Dartmouth.EDU) wrote:

> >sense curse     sense curse
> >sense magic     sense magic
>
> So what are the effects of the sense skills?  :)

:-)

> Jumping is useful in that you can move two squares at once.  There is
> at least one place where I've used it to get past a square that keeps
> moving you back, though I don't think the map designer intended that.

Hm... I can imagine where you used that. I did it in 0.93.4 with using
keybindings (back when they were executed in one tick --- so the
playermove didn't get a chance to act).

> Oratory only works with calm monsters.

Pets aren't useful in most cases anyway; I just listed the effects
of the skills :-)

Singing doesn't work with everything, too --- undead, I believe. Skulls
and demiliches for sure (but demiliches are usually calmed down).

> Oh, I think you left off another hand-to-hand skill--boxing?  It's
> like karate, only not as good.

punching? I don't have a list I could look at; the above is just what
I remember. There is also a "scroll of grappling" in exactly one place
that I didn't mention --- it gives you flametouch. The usual disclaimer
applies here --- I believe I know all maps, and I have been unable to
enter one treasure chamber, so there might be another scroll/skill.

Christian

--
Christian Stieber        http://www.informatik.tu-muenchen.de/~stieber