Re: Making Classes more distinct (Re: CF: towards 1.0)

Hello

s-nisita@urdr.ics.es.osaka-u.ac.jp said:
> 	o permanent stat potions should be much rarer (with difficulty
> 	  flag) or should be eliminated.
> 	  These potion shouldn't be generated at shops.
I vote against removing the stat potions or even give them rarer occurrence.

My two cent of recently discussions:

Many people wrote, that they have characters with level 20, 30, 40 or even 100.
Last time I had a level 60 character is 5 years ago. I can't see how
one (beginner) could get to a such level in a reasonable time.
Even if they got these levels, they have no chance to get those rare archetypes
like a holy avanger, belzebub's sword.

When a new release occurs, than I usually try a new character. I don't have
time to play days, so most of the character remain on level 8 to 11. With
not enough money to bye the needed potions to get faster to the next level.
I consider, that especially for beginners, (and I try to show some people
crossfire), crossfire gets more and more difficult without getting better
or more funny. A beginner doesn't know the places, were someone could kill
a big monster easily to gain much experience.

I distinct two types of having fun with crossfire:
   - Having fun with new maps, difficult (new) tasks, interesting map designs,
     new features like library, alchemy, runes, pet-monsters (some are pretty
     old), new archetypes/monsters/food/... skills, light (thanks to Brian for
     adding a lot of those) and so on.
   - having fun, by getting further within level/skills, by hacking/slashing,
     solve difficult tasks, casting spells...
I don't mentions quests, because I usually solve the quest one time, and that's
it. Perhaps I have Alzheimer, and try it a second/third time, because I don't
remember the keywords. I like tricky, interesting maps, where there are
many surprises, i.e. a grim-reaper, where I don't expect them ...
(One suggestion, make the appearance of a monster at special places more
random: In one of ten times, there is a grim-reaper, for example ...)

So, if you try to make the game more difficult by either
   - removing potions, features, and all types of only hypothetically cheating,
     (If I will cheat, I can do it (, at least by editing the character)
     I think, most of the cheating will occur, because there is a need for it
     in some sense. If you will cheat, to get only a big character I suggest
     editing. When someone cheats, he doesn't make any good to his fun. You
     think too much about cheating (IMHO))
   - adding one feature after another, without the appropriate maps, or without
     hints for the beginners, where they can get these needed information,
than you don't make the game more fun, you make the game more difficult,
and that has nothing to do with fun. (At least in the first place.)

Bis dann
Klaus

ps: There seems to be an error in the pupland maps:
there is a house, where on can see a magician, doing something with a
belzebub sword (/pup_land/lone_town_magic). This sword isn't really that
sword the name suggests, but you can get over 500 platincoins for it.
Is that cheating?
And a second question: I got from rplay a lot of errors like
	Sound 162 not available.
I have installed all those sounds from crossfire-0.92.7-sound.tar.gz.
Any suggestions?
Hey Brian, where are the orient-maps. When do you make them ready, or did I
miss
something?
And at last: I like the pup_land maps.