Using bandwidth approptriately (Was Re: CF: win32 client and XPM)

>	I too more or less agree with this. THe format of the
>	images sent from the server should be in the simplest,
>	*least bandwidth* impacting format. We should highly prize
>	performance over ease of implementation (server side).

> I've found that PNG images are about 1/2 the size of XPM
> images. ASCII based format does not necessarily imply
> it is the simpilest best format...

	Like I said. The format that allows the best performance
	should be given very strong weighting. Only IF that format
	has serious drawbacks dont choose it. I dont remember
	explicitly picking a certain format (ex. XPM).

	I doubt it is a great deal of work to have the client tranlate
	from the server image format to whatever is desired. This
	is especially true under the conditions that the client
	has a local cache and just demands strange/new images from
	the server as needed. (which, IMO, is how C/S ought to be. I
	dunno why we bother sending over and over again the same generic
	images found on every server each time someone fires up a client
	and logs in. This is an abuse of bandwidth *far* worse that using
	X format for the images...).

						-b.t.