Re: CF: see invisible bug

Scott Wedel (swedel@Tymnet.COM) wrote:

> > First of all, 0.94.0 has a serious bug which prevents you from uncovering
> > that lever, since it cannot uncover invisible _objects_ (just monsters and
>
> The see invisible "bug" is the result of a fundamental conflict in object
> definition.  There are many invisible objects which players are not meant
> to see.  I believe previous versions allowed a see invisible spell to
> see the match@ keywords for a conversation with a NPC as well as other
> problems.

Well, guess who reported that problem :-)
However, there weren't many problems in older version -- in a few places
where you could actually _stand_ on the magic ear, you could see the
@match stuff, but this is the only problem that older versions had;
the correct fix would be to either prevent only magic ears and mouths
to become visible, or fix the maps, or just don't show the @match stuff.
The fix that was done prevents everything but players and monsters from
becoming visible, which makes large parts of pupland inaccessible,
since "show invisible" is required in quite a few places, including, but
limited to, raffle2 and raffle3. There _are_ other places, too.
This is why I consider the "fix" a bug, since it has made things a lot
worse --- originally, there were only few places where you could get the
@match keywords; now there are a lot of places you cannot access at all.

> What is obviously needed is to split "invisible" into INTERNAL which can
> never be seen and INVISIBLE which can be revealed by see invisible.

Or just fix the maps --- I have only seen one place where you can get
the password via show invisible (it's the new house in Scorn; don't
remember the name --- the one with the filename bug); and there is no
reason why the magic ear cannot be put into the wall.
Another place is on the way to the Idaten boots --- but there is no
password to be gotten, just some useless conversation like "don't
go there, it's dagerous".

Look at pupland... in their maps, "show invisible" doesn't give any
information that the designers didn't want to show. Sometimes
"unholy ground" shows up, but in places where it matters, you
have to find some other way to find out which places are unholy.

> If
> this change was also made to the archetypes then the see invisible code
> doesn't have to check for monsters or objects, but just whether the
> object is invisible and thus should be revealed.

This is an acceptable solution; but right now I have no choice but to
patch cf back to the old see invisible code (I didn't find out how to
identify a magic ear; but didn't have much time to check the sources)
--- it's more important to have all maps accessible, instead of
preventing access to some newbie map via the "show invisible" bug.

Similiar reasoning made me patch the "create food" --- on my server,
the food has no value, but is not start-equipment, since I don't really
see why I should not be able to give a pile of waybreads to newbies.

Sometimes it seems that fixes are made too quickly --- some quick
"fix", without considering the impact on the game. The original
"singing abuse fix" fell into the same category -- it made singing
quite useless; but they fixed the fix, so it is acceptable now.

Christian

--
Christian (Icho/Gandhi/Ribald @sunbroy53.informatik.tu-muenchen.de, 13326)