Re: CF: poison is harmless to monsters and high level players

> I feel poison makes no sense to most of monsters,
> and high level characters.

Peter> I disagree with this patch.  The damage should have to do
Peter> with the deadliness of the poisoner, not how strong
Peter> the victim is.

I agree with this point of view.
I seem to have misread comments in server/attack.c.
But I think the source code still has a bug.

*** server/attack.c.orig	Sun Feb  8 14:26:18 1998
--- server/attack.c	Sun Mar 15 18:56:16 1998
***************
*** 1413,1422 ****
  		poisoning goes as the level of the monster/2.
  		If anything else, goes as damage. */

! 	if(QUERY_FLAG(hitter,FLAG_ALIVE))
  	   tmp->stats.dam += hitter->level/2;
! 	 else
! 	   tmp->stats.dam = dam;

  	set_owner(tmp,hitter);   /*  so we get credit for poisoning kills */
  	tmp->stats.food+=dam;  /*  more damage, longer poisoning */
--- 1413,1422 ----
  		poisoning goes as the level of the monster/2.
  		If anything else, goes as damage. */

! 	/* if(QUERY_FLAG(hitter,FLAG_ALIVE)) */
  	   tmp->stats.dam += hitter->level/2;
! 	/* else
! 	   tmp->stats.dam = dam; */

  	set_owner(tmp,hitter);   /*  so we get credit for poisoning kills */
  	tmp->stats.food+=dam;  /*  more damage, longer poisoning */

If players use poison cloud, "hitter" is not alive.
So damage is set to 1.

> For low level character, poison is harmful.
> For high level character, poison is relatively harmless.

Peter> The solution is to make the poison strike a percentage of total HP,
Peter> with the percentage dependent on the deadliness of the poison.

"total HP" means "maxhp"?
Then I feel it is good!