Re: CF: New server and client versions

On Sep 29, 11:37am, James Cameron wrote:
> Subject: Re: CF: New server and client versions
> Review of 0.95.0 build, install and initial play test, from someone who
> has not touched the recent stuff since 0.93.7 or so.
>
> Platform: Red Hat Linux V5.1 on Intel.
>
> ./configure shows dependency on X for server, but you said it wasn't
> needed ... I know crossedit needs it, so that's expected.

 Right - it will check for X, and if it detects it, it should build crossedit.
 If it doesn't detect it, it should skip the crossedit install.

> make install does not do a make all, just surprising.

 Need to fix a few dependencies in the makefiles.

> make failed during link of crossedit/Cnv/test and crossedit/crossedit
> with undefined Xt and Xaw symbols, fixed by adding "-L/usr/X11R6/lib
> -lXt -lXaw" to the two link commands.

 I'll have to look at this.  I also run redhat on intel with X11 libraries in
the same place, and it was working OK.  Perhaps I broke it fixing up some stuff
to get it working on sinix boxes.

> tried starting bin/crossfire with -server, got "Unknown option," despite
> the "-h" usage summary showing it.

 Have to update that.  -server is implied now, since that really all it does.

> could not find the "inv-lock" equivalent ... my usual play mode is to
> pick up everything and do a dropall at strategic spots ... dropping what
> the gods have given you is uncomfortable.

 The mouse method works for the X11 client (shift left click).  It does look
like text commands were removed (not sure why I would have done that).  It can
be added back in.

> could not get bind to work, typed  'bind pickup 4  and the result was
> stored as " pickup 4", which would not work with the extra space.

 Just tried it for myself, and it seemed to work.  In fact, I added special
logic in 0.94.4 to strip off leading spaces (so if you did a 'bind   pickup 4',
it would remove the spaces between the bind.

> the GTK client changed command repeat ... fairly minor, I know, but I
> wanted to sell all but one dagger and ended up selling them all.  I
> eventually figured out the "count" field, but couldn't work out why it
> isn't changed when you type numbers.

 Are the above bugs (bind, repeat) also with gtk client or X11?  A fair amount
of the stuff above is handled by the UI and not the common code.

--

-- Mark Wedel
mark@pyramid.com

Follow-Ups: References: