CF: Restoration Potions

This maybe a bug or maybe how they work i don't know, could someone find out
for me?

Example:

The other day my character died. I lost a stat point and a level in praying.
I bought a restoration potion and drank it and gained my level in praying
and my stat point and stat points that i lost previously.

I was playing last night and was cornered by a grimreaper. I lost 2 levels
in skills through drains. I drank a restoration potion and lost 50,000
experience. I drank another to make sure that it was the potion and not the
grimreaper that did it and sure enough i lost another 50,000 experience
points. (rough estimates of experience loss). All totaled about 190,000
experience points lost.

Do Restoration Potions give back experience when you havn't died or only
stats? Or do they only work when you have died? I'd like someone to scan the
code and see how they work. I really don't know much about coding myself or
i'd do it and post my findings.