Re: CF: Restoration Potions

Doug wilder wrote:

> This maybe a bug or maybe how they work i don't know, could someone find out
> for me?
>
> Example:
>
> The other day my character died. I lost a stat point and a level in praying.
> I bought a restoration potion and drank it and gained my level in praying
> and my stat point and stat points that i lost previously.
>
> I was playing last night and was cornered by a grimreaper. I lost 2 levels
> in skills through drains. I drank a restoration potion and lost 50,000
> experience. I drank another to make sure that it was the potion and not the
> grimreaper that did it and sure enough i lost another 50,000 experience
> points. (rough estimates of experience loss). All totaled about 190,000
> experience points lost.
>
> Do Restoration Potions give back experience when you havn't died or only
> stats? Or do they only work when you have died? I'd like someone to scan the
> code and see how they work. I really don't know much about coding myself or
> i'd do it and post my findings.

Are you playing a standard and recent version of Crossfire?  How many consecutive days had you been playing when you observed this bizzarre experience effect?

According to server/spell_effect.c, Restoration spells:
1) cast Cure Poison
2) cast Cure Confusion
3) cast Cure Disease
4) set food=999
5) cast Heal
*) do not remove depletion

According to server/apply.c, Restoration potions:
1) remove depletion
*) do not cast Restoration spell

According to server/attack.c, attacktype Drain (the Grimreaper's attacktype)
1) subtracts 2% of victim's experience (1% if protected)
2) adds half of that to attacker
*) does not count as depletion
*) is not curable by Restoration (or anything else, for that matter)

According to server/player.c, death (if set to non-permanent, with deplete)
1) depletes 1 stat point
2) subtracts 20% of experience
3) cures poison and disease
4) resets hit points to (new) maximum
5) creates a gravestone
6) labels it with what killed you and how much experience you lost
*) only the stat depletion can be cured, not the experience loss

    *Should* potions of restoration (or anything else for that matter) be able to cure experience loss?  It could be recorded in a "drain" object the same way depletion effects are recorded in a "depletion" object.  That would mean that once a character can afford to buy restoration potions, death is merely an inconvenience.
    Perhaps Resurrection spells in non-permanent-death mode could return a player's lost experience.  Just to make things a little more inconvenient, the player might be required to be holding the gravestone created when they died, and only get back as much experience as they lost on that gravestone (in case they died twice and only recovered one gravestone.)

--
            -Dave Noelle,                 dave@Straylight.org
            -the Villa Straylight,  http://www.straylight.org

Disclaimer: U.C.L.A. doesn't share my opinions; life isn't that good.

Quote of the Day:
"And we're just slipping through the cracks
 Then the movie's over ... fade to black
 Life is a lemon and I want my money back!" - Meat Loaf