Re: CF: suggestion for Exp system (damage vs. kill)

On Feb 1,  4:50pm, Peter Mardahl wrote:
> Subject: Re: CF: suggestion for Exp system (damage vs. kill)
> > Yes please.
> >
> > But where should the final kill experience go if the final kill was by
> > magic?  Should the whole party get magic experience, or should the
> > "current skill" of each player be used?  Should there be a generic skill
> > for party kills that has no effect on skill abilities?  I think so.
> > Less abuse.
>

> With the partial experience system, there would seem to be no need
> for "party experience".  Everyone who participates would be getting
> experience of some kind, and no-risk malingerers get nothing.

 The only problem here would be someone that wants to basically play a healer
or person that casts protection spells - they are certainly useful, but would
not get any exp in that method.  On the other hand, how many people actually
play characters like that?

On Feb 1,  2:31pm, Raphaël Quinet wrote:
> Here is a suggestion: keep two separate fields in the object struct
> for the monsters (exp and kill_exp).  When loading a map, half of
> the exp specified in the file is stored in each field.  Then the
> experience points would be awarded as follows:

 In the long run, this should be specified in the arch.  The loading of this
field would be needed in any case (since if the map gets swapped out, you
probably don't want to divide again.)

> Of course, the exp gains are adjusted according to the respective
> levels of the players, as in the current system.

 Note that this can open up some abuses.  I could hit some powerful monster
that I know I don't have any chance of killing with some range attack (due to
lack of enough mana to get enough spells off), but still get some pretty good
exp (especially do to the level difference.)

 A simpler method would be award a 1:1 hp caused:exp gain (no modifiers for
level difference, skills, or whatever else).  Exp for some monsters would need
to be adjusted due to this change.  This gives some exp for just beating stuff
up, but puts the bulk of it on the actual killing of the creature.

--

-- Mark Wedel
mark@pyramid.com