Re: CF: trapped in scorn!

Mark Wedel wrote:

> Steven Lembark wrote:
> >
> > grabbed 0.95.4.  everything seemed ok until i tried
> > to exit scorn via the well (through old city to the
> > stair up to the guardroom).  stair is OTL: activate
> > it and nothing happens (here at least).
> >
> > is this a fluke on my system or a general problem?
>
>  I was able to use the exit just fine.  I assume you are talking about the
> exit that leads from the dungeon to the guardhouse itself?  I had no problem
> there.

    I haven't noticed that problem either, but it did remind me of a similar
bug I noticed a while back and have just been avoiding.  The Scorn "House of
Healing" is a death trap.  Only one exit, and it doesn't work: "The exit is
closed."  And here's why:

from ".../share/maps/city/misc/HouseofHealing":

arch exit
x 7
y 30
end

No "slaying" field.  Should be "../city", no?

    On a very tenuously related note, can someome please tell me what the
deal is with those "Pocket Reality" chest-looking exits in
city/apartment/apartments?  They keep telling me that the
".../var/players/[player]/Apartments[n]" is closed.  I played around with
them a bit and managed to get them to access the
"city/apartment/Apartments[n]" maps, and redirected the exits from those
maps back to "var/players/[player]/_city_apartment_apartments", but then
they just didn't save anything.
    What are those /supposed/ to do?  Since they're not portable, why not
just make the apartment beyond the "Apartment Extender" wall larger?  Or are
they some kind of experiment that is supposed to become portable in the
future?  That would be neat.  Kind of like a "portable hole".  They need
their own object type, though.  An exit you can carry around, but can only
activate while you're *not* holding it.  And it would have to replace its
exit every time it is applied with something that would send you back to
wherever you entered from AND re-create the original object if the map
exited to had been reset while you were in the "Pocket Reality".  And what
if someone else picks it up while you're inside?  Messy.

--
            -Dave Noelle,                 dave@Straylight.org
            -the Villa Straylight,  http://www.straylight.org

Quote of the Day:
"We offer them mediocrity while calling it magic.  We offer them the
 illusion of intelligent software, seducing them into surrendering the task
 of thinking to the machine.  Of course, the machine isn't thinking, which
 means that nobody is."  - Larry Constantine, 1994