Re: CF: the begining of crossfire

Gorlin wrote:

> I had some sparetime today so I sat down and wrote a small history, such
> as a priest (in this case a priest of Gaea) would tell about the creation
> of the world and mythological history. The area covered IS mythology - no
> actual cities, kingdoms, or else is being mentioned. A more exact history
> of the recently past (kings, realms, wars, magic, glorious quests or
> artifacts) still misses, also such a history should be developed on its
> own. Another thing: This text is written from the view of a believer of
> Gaea - the "creation stories" of other religions/races/etc would almost
> certainly differ...

 A few thoughts...

 I think it would be more interesting if the child races (dwarves, elves,
goblins, etc) had some more direct tie to their gods.  The gods actually
creating the races, either directly or indirectly, instead of vice versa, tends
to be more popular.

 I am not sure of the idea of even a higher creator beyond the standard gods.

 I sort of like the idea of these outside gods coming from a non determined area
- they just start to exist without any background.

 That said, in brief terms:

 Gaea creates the world.  However, for things to thrive, rain is needed
so Sorig comes along (weather god), and provides the rain and lightning.  The
lightning creates fire, so rugilli comes in.

 Note that gaea is nature/life, without any great need/desire for followers, as
the natural world itself gives here power.  Also, it might be nice to add a
earth god, or put that in mostrai's domain (mostrai saw a flat and uninteresting
world - he created massive mountains and deep dungeons.

 Onbe of Lythander, mostrai, or gnarg sees need for some animal life forms.  In
response, the other two gods react.

 For example, Gnarg created the goblins on the world for some reason.
Lythander, disgusted what the goblins where doing to the beautiful forests,
created the elves and halflings to help protect the forests from uncontrolled
goblin destruction.

 Mostrai, seeing what was happening to the forests, decided to take pre-emptive
measures and created the dwarves to live deep within the mountains he created.
>From the nature god Gaea came the humans, to
protect and provide balance in the plains and along the coasts.

 With the constant battles for balance, many of these new life forms died.
The gods that created them did originally see the souls that these new life
forms had, but the gods Gorokh and Valriel did.  They took the worst (and
best) of these departing souls in order to create creatures for their
own desires.

 The souls that neither claimed became the domain of the devourers (BTW, I think
a more proper name than a standard english word might be nice).  What the
devourers lacked in the strength of individual souls, he gained in the sheer
number of souls he controlled, and with these he created wights and vampires to
give him even more souls.  Some of the powerful humanoids worshipped him in
hopes of eternal life.  For some of these, they gained
this eternal life in the form and lichs and demilichs.

 Dragons could come into being by Rugilli because he wanted some worshippers of
his own.  However, if Rugilli is the fire god, this does not explain chinese and
electric dragons very well.

 I don't know if we want to explain every creature or not.  For example, titans,
taken from greek mythology, and nearly god like creatures in their own right.
The titans in crossfire could be descendants of some of the forgotten gods.

 That could be god for things like dragons - how they were created is forgotten.

 Anyway, just some thoughts - feel free to take them or leave them.