RE: CF: RE: Successful experiments - commit to CVS?

-----Original Message-----
From: David Andrew Michael Noelle
Cc: dragonm
Sent: 9/10/99 5:40 AM
Subject: Re: CF: RE: Successful experiments - commit to CVS?

<snip>

    I wasn't aware of that being the origin of the word.  I thought it was
just a catch-all for various psychic powers.  In fact, I first encountered
the word "psionics" and the concept in game terms in 1st Edition AD&D,
buried in an appendix somewhere.  I never saw any anachronism or conflict
between magic and psionics.  They accomplish similar results in vastly
different ways, the same as the difference between spells and prayers.
Magic uses rituals, formulas, incantations, and ingredients to channel other
energies (mana) into the desired effect.  Psionics is the ability to
focus and control your own mental energy to achieve similar effects.
Psionics tend to be more subtle, and it is much more difficult to affect
matter with psionics than energy fields or another mind, while different
schools of magic deal with each of those equally.
    That's why I've been looking for a way to introduce psionics into
Crossfire.  Perhaps as a Mental skill that acts as spellcasting, but only
works for the Mind and Information paths.  But I believe spell points are
based on Magic level, not total level or Mental level.
Psionics first started showing up in fiction (books/magazines) in the early
part of the century.  Pre-Golden Age fiction.  Science Fiction people
(actually, SuperScience people.  E.E. "Doc" Smith comes to mind.)  wanted to
do "magical" things without using the word.
    Nevertheless, if the name "psionics" bothers you, I don't mind calling
these purely mental attacks something else, perhaps something as simple
as "mental."
<snip>