CF: RE: Footprints (was: Long term experimental ideas)

-----Original Message-----
From: David Andrew Michael Noelle
To: crossfire@ifi.uio.no
Sent: 9/19/99 1:41 PM
Subject: CF: Footprints (was: Long term experimental ideas)

<snip>

Yes, large monsters take damage for each part of their body that is
hit by your spell.  Using a bolt spell against hill giants is twice as
effective if you hit them lengthwise.  I think the solution would be
to allow the spell to overlap the wall, too.  After all, a fireball
doesn't generally travel along the ground.  Of course, this also
implies that you should be able to hit the same hill giant in the head
with that lightning bolt and it wouldn't just pass right through.
Unfortunately (for the giant) that means giants can't hide behind a
single square of wall, even though they're a single square wide.

Converting a top-down, 2-dimensional game where everyone is drawn
parallel to the floor into an angled 3-D game isn't going to be easy,
but nothing worthwhile ever is.
-----Begin Response-----
Allowing spell effects to overlap as much wall as a monster is probably
reasonable.  If we're going to increase perspective effects, shouldn't the
damage asymmetric monsters take be normalized to be identical from any
angle?  (Disregarding facing effects.)

DM