Re: CF: Cone spells

> Another play balance issue. We have found NO_CONE_PROPAGATE to even up
the game
> a lot.

> Should this be the default behaviour? Has anyone else tried using this
option
> recently?

I think that's not the real problem with cones though.  Cones are
currently hyper-powered because a cone spell in fact fires three
overlapping cones, one from each initial square, due to some odd
behavior in cast_cone(), which also causes cones in flight to chew up
3 times as many active objects as necessary (which can make a server
drag if you're being spammed by a mob of skulls or the like).

John, you might want to try the attached patch and remove
NO_CONE_PROPAGATE.  It removes this triple overlapping behavior, and
depending on whether you #define BALANCE_CONES, either leaves the net
damage as before (by tripling the damage from each cone cell), or cuts
it to 1/3 (by leaving the damage numbers alone).

Any comments, questions, flames, lightning bolts, or other feedback?
:-)