Re: [CF:1322] Auto-identify?

Peter Mardahl wrote:

> > Would the auto-identify take effect when they have item(s) in their
> > inventory or by just walking over them ?
>
> Just by walking over them, and ideally, just by walking to a square
> next the unidentified item.
>
> Someone could just hack their client to do this, and the server would
> never know so long as it implemented the correct protocol.
>
> You'd want to be able to turn it off, though, because applying these
> skills does take time.
>
> I would also like identification to recurse through inventories.

 One disadvantage of doing it just by walking over it is that there could be
another person in the party better at ID'ing the items, so if the low level guy
walks over the stuff, the high level guy can't re-do it.  However, this could be
done like search items - you can switch it on and off.

 I can certainly see some enhancements however:

1) Add a skill/command that uses all the identify skills.
2) When examining objects, they could be identified.
3) When picking things up, they could be identified.

 As far as time, in theory, the amount of time should be based on the number of
objects being identified, and not the skills themselves.   For example,
identifying 15 different weapons should take longer than identify 1 ring, armor,
potion, weapon - for a realism sense, the identification would involve looking
over the item and knowing what it is.

 However, I am not sure if changing it that way is a good thing or not - at
current time, crossfire does not have interruptable commans, which means once
you start something, you have to finish it before doing something else.  It
probably wouldn't be very nice for a player to accidentally hit the identify key
while standing on top of a pile of loot and basically get stucked for some
number of ticks, during which time they are killed by the next monster or
whatever.

 As for Rick's question about detect magic/curse and identified items - once
something is identified, the cursed and magic flags are known.  So you are right
in the sense that once something is identified, the detect curse & magic doesn't
do any good.  However, if the attempt failed, those skills would still be
useful.

 One conflict right now is that you can sell cursed items (known cursed) for
money, but not identified items.  So if you want to get every penny, you do the
detect curse, sell those items, then do the identification, and sell the items.