Re: [CF:1349] It lives! (22Jun00 server 0.95.6 on SuSE 6.4)

 I'll try to address the points.

Frank McKenney wrote:

> I have installed the official June 22 release of crossfire-0.95.6 and
> client 0.95.4 under SuSE Linux 6.4, and they seem to be basically
> functioning okay at this point. There were a couple of points I ran
> into during installation, and I have a question on the use of the LOG()
> macro in the client.

 There is a 0.95.6 client out there - you should grab that.

>  1) "Crossfire 0.95.6" consists of a number of .tar.gz/bz2 files which
>     need to be 'tar'ed into a directory structure. I was unable to find
>     any document giving a hint as to how the source hierarchy should be
>     set up for proper installation. Can somepone point me at this?
>
>     I would up putting everything in /usr/src, but then had to copy the
>     maps over to /var/games/crossfire manually. Should these have been
>     put somewhere so that server 'make install' would put them in place?

 The general step should be:

 untar the server wherever.  Read the INSTALL file that comes with the server.

 The maps can be untarred directly into their destination location - there is no
reason to stage them someplace else.

>  2) In a couple of places (INSTALL, client README) the instructions say
>     to run make with no arguments. At least on my system, 'make all' was
>     required.

 That is a little odd.  Looking at the Makefile on my system, the first actual
make directive is the 'all' directive.  It is my understanding if make is not
run with a specific directive, it uses the first it finds in the file.

 So the two possiblities are:

 1) For whatever reason, the Makefile generated on your system has some other
directive before the all: one (you can look at the Makefile to see if that is
the case), or
 2) The make on your system does default to the first entry in the Makefile, and
instead uses some other one.

>  3) Client 'make all' runs 'deftoheader.pl, whose first line reads
>
>         #!/usr/local/bin/perl
>
>     At least on my system perl is in /usr/bin. Added a symbolic link and
>     we were off and running again.

 Fixed in the 0.95.6 client.

>  4) Client 'make depend' generated a lot of messages about 'stddef.h'
>     like the following:
>
>      /usr/X11R6/bin/makedepend: warning:  anim.c (reading
>         /usr/include/stdio.h, line 38): cann ot find include file
>         "stdarg.h"
>
>     My system's copy of stdio.h does references this file, but it's not
>     in /usr/include.  I finally decided to ignore these, and the
>     compiles did not generate any errors.

 All errors/warnings from make depend can be ignore.  And for people who just
plan to compile it once (and not develope it), running make depend isn't even
necessary.

>  5) The client seems to spend a lot of time spewing messages such as:
>
>         Command:drawinfo
>         Command:drawinfo
>         Command:drawinfo
>         Command:drawinfo
>         Command:delinv
>         Command:query
>         Received query.  Input state now 1
>         Command:comc
>         Command:stats
>         Command:map
>         Command:map
>
>     out to stderr via LOG() macro. Can/should these be suppressed?
>     If so, how?

 Version 0.95.6 will not generate those.  I believe client 0.95.4 shipped with
the DEBUG flag flag on by default.

>  6) Client startup produces the following messages:
>
>     Could not open ~/.crossfire/keys, trying to load global bindings
>     Warning: could not convert keysym F28 into keycode, ignoring
>     Warning: could not convert keysym F34 into keycode, ignoring
>     ...etc.
>
>     ...BUT... it created the missing file on exit. Thanks.

 The first line is sort of a notice that it didn't find a pre-existing file.
The other Warnings should probably be removed, since they will show up on all
sorts of clients.

 If your keyboard actually has a F28 or F34 key, you won't get those.  The
default shipment of the client tries to include bindings for a decent variety of
keyboards, but not all keys exist on all keyboards, so you get those messages
above.

>  7) Client startup shows the following message:
>
>         Command:version
>         Differing S->C version numbers (1022,1023)
>         Playing on server type  Crossfire Server
>
>     Should I be concerned about this mismatch?

 Update to 0.95.6 and you won't get that.  Even with that, you can ignore it,
because the server will only use the new features of the protocol if the client
first requests it (basically, png support).  The new client is also smart enough
not to request PNG support unless the server supports it, so there should not be
any problems with client/server incompatibility for this release at least.