It lives! (22Jun00 server 0.95.6 on SuSE 6.4)

I have installed the official June 22 release of crossfire-0.95.6 and
client 0.95.4 under SuSE Linux 6.4, and they seem to be basically
functioning okay at this point. There were a couple of points I ran
into during installation, and I have a question on the use of the LOG()
macro in the client.

 1) "Crossfire 0.95.6" consists of a number of .tar.gz/bz2 files which
    need to be 'tar'ed into a directory structure. I was unable to find
    any document giving a hint as to how the source hierarchy should be
    set up for proper installation. Can somepone point me at this?

    I would up putting everything in /usr/src, but then had to copy the
    maps over to /var/games/crossfire manually. Should these have been
    put somewhere so that server 'make install' would put them in place?

 2) In a couple of places (INSTALL, client README) the instructions say
    to run make with no arguments. At least on my system, 'make all' was
    required.

 3) Client 'make all' runs 'deftoheader.pl, whose first line reads

        #!/usr/local/bin/perl

    At least on my system perl is in /usr/bin. Added a symbolic link and
    we were off and running again.

 4) Client 'make depend' generated a lot of messages about 'stddef.h'
    like the following:

     /usr/X11R6/bin/makedepend: warning:  anim.c (reading
        /usr/include/stdio.h, line 38): cann ot find include file
        "stdarg.h"

    My system's copy of stdio.h does references this file, but it's not
    in /usr/include.  I finally decided to ignore these, and the
    compiles did not generate any errors.

 5) The client seems to spend a lot of time spewing messages such as:

        Command:drawinfo
        Command:drawinfo
        Command:drawinfo
        Command:drawinfo
        Command:delinv
        Command:query
        Received query.  Input state now 1
        Command:comc
        Command:stats
        Command:map
        Command:map

    out to stderr via LOG() macro. Can/should these be suppressed?
    If so, how?

 6) Client startup produces the following messages:

    Could not open ~/.crossfire/keys, trying to load global bindings
    Warning: could not convert keysym F28 into keycode, ignoring
    Warning: could not convert keysym F34 into keycode, ignoring
    ...etc.

    ...BUT... it created the missing file on exit. Thanks.

 7) Client startup shows the following message:

        Command:version
        Differing S->C version numbers (1022,1023)
        Playing on server type  Crossfire Server

    Should I be concerned about this mismatch?

Feedback will be appreciated. This was my first install, so there may be
things which are obvious ot most of you that I completely missed.

Frank McKenney

Frank McKenney, McKenney Associates
Richmond, Virginia / (804) 320-4887
E-mail: frank_mckenney@mindspring.com