Re: CF: Quest & Characters and Alchemy

Michael Toennies wrote:

> For alchemy it means that we need a mechanism that seperates the knowlege of
> the player
> about a recipe from the knowlege his game character has.

 Note this applies to more than just alchemy.

 You always have some case of player knowledge.  That experience player will
know what monsters attack with and how best to defeat them, where some of the
major treasure items are (power crystal is at XXXX, temple of demonology, etc..)

 But more important than those points, which are much harder to fix, is just the
question of passwords.  In navar city, you can avoid much of the pre tower quest
once you know what the passwords to get in are.  And I do think that is some of
a problem, but one which is harder to fix - even if the passwords are dynamic,
the player will still know where to go to get it.

> known recipes:
> - potion of restoration (lvl 10)
> need: horn of unicorn, 2 water of wise (or so , i can't remember ;)
> - balm of travelling (lvl 2)
>  need: ...
>
> Now if one cast alchemy on a cauldron, nothing happens if the caster don't
> know the
> recipe or/and don't has the proper level. Coding it, should be easy. All
> neede technique
> is in game for other effects.

 Easy is a relative term.  You would need to add a list to the player of what
recipes known.   It would almost become like spells.

 What this doesn't work for is the case of multiplayer - player 1 knows some
recipes, and player 2 knows some other but they want to exchange that
knowledge.  I guess code could be added to do that.

 The problem, which could be done right now, is that alchemy just needs to be
integrated much better into the game.  Other than body parts, I think you would
find most of your alchemy ingrediants (and recipes) in the shops.  For a while,
I actually played honestly and recorded recipes as I found them and searched
shops for them.  After quite a bit of playing, I still hadn't found any really
useful recipes - most were just the base recipes.