TCLUG Development Archive

Re: [TCLUG-DEVEL:27] Java references

Christopher Reid Palmer <reid@pconline.com> writes:

> Hi kids,
>
> What are the good Java books? Any recommendations? I've got my doubts
> about the Sun ones -- they're half marketing from what I've been able to
> tell in a brief skimming. Hello World isn't until page 52. :P

I've found Java in a Nutshell to be good.  Other than that reading the javadoc
on the packages you're using is the best way to learn a package.  Note this
also means that you should comment your own code as well so someone else can
figure it out.

> What are the good Java development environments for Linux?

XEmacs with JDE works good for me.  I can use the same environment at work
under NT too without any problems.

--
Jon Schewe
http://eggplant.mtu.net/~jpschewe